Tuesday, 7 June 2011

The Hope Center and the Ship

I have taken care of all three of these kids.
The girl on the left had a lipoma removed from the right side of her face
The girl in the middle had a severe burn contracture
and her arm was stuck to her side.  Her arms now move freely.
The boy on the right had severely bowed legs,
which are now straight.  One of the first things he said after
standing for the first time was "look how tall I am"
There are many patients that travel from all over Sierra Leone and sometimes from neighboring countries.  It would be very hard for them to make it to their post-op appointments if we sent them home after being discharged from the hospital.  So Mercy Ships has converted a building close to the ship to house these patients.  It is called the Hope Center.  I think it helps us nurses as well. We get sad when we go work and notice that the patient we had built a relationship with is gone.  I brought a camera with me the last time I went.  Shortly after arrival my camera was in the hands of the kids so most of the pictures were taken by them.  As soon as the camera comes out all you hear is "Snap me, snap me" or "I want to snap".  It definitely made for some interesting pictures.  It's really fun to visit.  The kids run and give you a hug.  The people of Sierra Leone are such a warm people.  It's amazing how far a smile and a hand shake can go, especially when you don't speak the language.

Kids having fun with the camera!

He originally came in with club feet.
I think I am attempting to explain arthritis.  As I was talking
about the space between the joints and the part that breaks
down, the girl on my lap says "cartilage".  


















A few pictures of my floating home
The small space where I live.  I am on the top bunk.
There are 2 other bunks like this in our room.
All 6 of us share one bathroom
The other view of my sleeping area.

The front of the ship

The back of the ship.  The ship is
registered in Valletta, Malta



The Mercy Ship logo on top of the ship

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa- We are SO proud of you!!!
    Love,
    Andy, Sarah, Cameron, Jordan, Lilly & Andy Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, What a great post! It is so neat to see how you are affecting these kid's lives. We love the pictures of the kids...they took some really nice photos. You are continually in our prayers. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete